Reading Fee's

Friday, April 28, 2006

Question:

I was wondering if anyone could help clarify some of this stuff for me. I contacted a couple of people who were advertised in the back of Writer's Digest. On the ad it said that there were no reading fees for work that is sent in. However the ad also said to call in before submitting (to make sure the idea is valid I guess). I was told that the fee for editing and line evaluation is $75 an hour. I'm in college so I really can't pay it. I'm just trying to figure out what the reading fee's actually mean. I'm new at this so I don't want to take any chances. But hey, they seemed enthusiastic about the idea.

The other situation is I'm not through with my book yet. I have 9 chapters but I want to eventually have 19 or 20. It's a short story book so I don't want it to be too long. Should I wait until the book is finished before I start submitting to editors and agents or publishers. I just don't know what I should do. If anyone can clarify this I would really appreciate it.
[Questioned by Eric]


Answer:


If your book is a novel, you definitely have to have it completed before querying agents or publishers...

if it's non-fiction, you need to show that you have some sort of qualifications for writing about the subject and prepare a good proposal...

no legit agent or publisher will charge a reading fee, so don't even consider any who mention money going FROM you TO them... the money is supposed to go in the other direction! [Answered by Maia]

0 comments: