Tips on How to Write Good Action Scenes with Detail?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Question:

Hey everyone! So my question is how do you write an action scene with good detail or description? I don't know how I've gotten by without this skill but I seem to go for things like "She broke down the door" or "he tried to break free" instead of more detailed sentences. So, does anyone have any advice on how to write action? And when I say action I don't mean ALL action, I mean like fight scenes, or scenes where a lot of things happen at once. I don't know if I explained it well enough but ah well, any reply would help.
-------
Alice


Answer:

Tip-1:
I tend to write action quite often, actually. I've written fan fiction for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other things in the liking so I guess I know how to receive the appropriate materials.Well, for one...I believe "she broke down the door" isn't quite enough description. Get in contact and understand the characters emotions...if it's a fight scene, you should be able to try and understand what the character is feeling and set your description from there.Usually in fight scenes, people would be upset about something and have some motive, so use that as a tool.Hope I helped, -----------

Tip-2:
You always need to have your own 'voice' when writing, but when I had to write my first action scene, I borrowed a couple of books and looked at how well known and respected authors do it. Not just the scene, the foreshadowing that precedes an action or suspense scene is just as important.With a fresh perspective, I set to writing my first action scene set around my characters in my location and with my style. It took a couple of attempts to get that first one right, but I am pretty good at it now.So, two choices. Read some other authors or buy a well reviewed 'how to' book.

0 comments: