Writing Short Story Problem- Losing the Plot?

Monday, May 01, 2006


Question:

I often find that when I'm thinking about writing a short story that my ideas get way to big for the length I'm planning. I really do have a hard time keeping it simple.

For example, I recently planned a story in which a young boy had disappeared, coinciding with strange incidents happening in the place he disappeared from. Before I knew it, I had aliens, detectives etc. Way too much for a short piece.

Is there any way I can tone my head down a bit? Or even work these large plots into a short story?

Thanks in advance,
[Lesley xx]

Answer:


Tip-1:

Hmm well. Outline. That keeps you inline with what ever you're writing. And stop thinking so deep with the story. I write short stories a lot and usually I don't think about the story in great detail until I'm sitting down to write it.

I hoped that helped at all...

Tip-2:

I used to have the same problem... I couldn't and still can't write a short story that has any amount of quality to it. The only stories of mine that people have said are good have all been 100+ pages, so I gave up on trying writing short ones. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but you should try maybe setting out to write a longer story and see what happens. Who knows, you might be a good novel writer.


[Rudder]

Tip-3:

You can keep all the detail, all the plot... just don't write it. Keep all that stuff in your head as background information, and then just write about one day, or a single incident.

Reviewed and edited by M.K Raza

0 comments: